Monday, October 02, 2006

Tangled Up & No Shrimp

LoL. This was the theme of Saturday for us. We crabbed/fished and everytime Cameron casted out and reeled back in he would say "Tangled up and no shrimp". I said "that would be a good blog title." LoL. I want to give a shout out to my blog/2Peas friend Deanna. She has been doing posts along the line of how lucky she is to live where she lives. And let's face it, she is lucky. She lives in Hawaii. It doesn't get much better than that. And when I read her post I got to thinking of all the downsides to living in Louisiana. The stiffling humidity, the mosquitos, the bad roads, the hurricanes, just to name a few. But then this weekend, we went out crabbing and fishing and my outlook changed a little. As I was sitting right along the water pulling in crabs, watching the boats go by, I realized that we are pretty lucky to. We live in "sportsman's paradise". It was just so nice sitting alongside the water. So I was feeling a little lucky too and although it's not Hawaii, it's pretty good in its own way.
I was really regretting not bringing the camera. I know all my scrappy friends probably cannot believe we went do something like this and I forgot the camera. Sorry girls! I really wish I would have brought it. The area we went to was the area hardest hit by Hurricane Rita. Some of the areas we used to go to down there no longer exsist. We passed up numerous cement slabs with campers parked on them. The house or camp that was once there is no longer. We passed up a random house in the middle of a field turned all crazy. You could tell that the house was washed there. The high school is completely desserted. It's overgrown and there is still a ton of trash that washed up against it that is still there. I just wish I could have shared some pics of that with all of you. We ended up catching 3 dozen crabs so the trip was a success. And crabbing is so fun. The kids loved every minute of it. We didn't see any alligators and normally we do. Not sure if the storm had something to do with that or not. It was a fun trip. Payton's first time and I think we made a crabber out of her. She loved carrying the net to the ice chest and dumping them in.

Yesterday, we went to church for a very interesting service. Now I grew up in church so not much phases me as for as what goes on. But yesterday was definitely interesting. They had this little old lady with her humongous hat that came in that I had never seen before. She sat a couple of rows in front of us. I am laughing as I type this. Pretty sad huh? So anyway, in our church it is common for people to say "Amen" when they agree with what the pastor says. But usually it is at the appropriate time. So anyway, the pastor starts preaching, and she gets going. "Amen", "Preach it", "I know that's right", "Oh my Lord". After every single word the pastor said. Now I got a serious case of the giggles a few times during service, which would of course get Eric giggling also. Thank goodness we sat on the back row. So she is going to town. So much in fact that I could see people clearly across the church looking and giggling. I really don't think she was even listening to the sermon just shouting the preacher down, LoL. So finally the end of the service comes and the pastor is talking about the new small groups. He says "we will have a motorcycle group"..."Amen. Thank you Lord." "a men's golfing group"..."Oh my Lord, thank you Jesus." It was at that moment that I could not hold it in for another minute and I busted out laughing. Uncontrollably as I sprinted for the door. Then, I proceeded to go into the bathroom where I laughed/cried for 5 minutes. And the sad part was that everyone that came in the bathroom either knew why I was laughing or just thought I was plain crazy. Quite the interesting church service. I still giggle thinking about it.

What a long post for me huh? Well lots went on this weekend that I wanted to share. Hope you all have a great Monday. The summer is back in full force here. Hot and humid. And it's October :( Oh and Payton is wearing big girl underwear. No diaper or pull up. Quite scary. Kohl's opened this weekend so we went to check it out and she wanted big girl underwear. So we bought some and we decided it was time to go cold turkey. Just hope Dora the Explorer stays dry.

6 comments:

Brandy Schaaf said...

Good thing I wasn't there be I would have been hysterically laughing right along side you. LOL
Shame on you for not bringing your camera. Glad y'all had fun!

Anonymous said...

way to go Payton. My Maisie calls her big girl pants 'anya's pants' after her little friend who is potty trained already..lol

hope she cracks it :)

Jill H said...

oh my goodness, a giggle fit during church?! haha, so funny =) what a fun post!!! i love hearing about the crabbing, that IS a very cool part of living in your neck of the woods. how cool!!! i hope Payton had success w/the potty training today!

darcy said...

Shrimping and crabbing.. WOW!! We are surrounded by corn around here... no shrimp or crabs. I'm jealous!!!

Oh gosh..laughing when you know you shouldn't is the WORST!!!! At least you made it to the bathroom!!!

Anonymous said...

Greaaaattt post, hahaha. I'm sitting here at work giggling with you.

I think it's so extremely rad that you live there and can go shrimping and crabbin' - that's lucky to me :) Heh. I want to travel all over the creation and see the everyday beauty elsewhere.

And awwww... that is so cute - big girl underwear :) hehe. I was dying with the last line, for rill!

Brandy Schaaf said...

JUst a heads up Kohl's opened early. I went today and it was not packed at all. Maybe try to go before thursday when it will be insane. :)

On to Jr. High!