Thursday, January 10, 2008

Another One of Those Upbeat Posts

Yeah, this will be one of those. Today I go to the much anticipated eye consultation for my Lasik procedure. Seriously, the majority of my friends have done it and it's so easy and blah blah blah. So they do the series of tests to make sure that I'm a candidate. The doctor walks in and the first words out of his mouth are "So, it's not looking good". FABULOUS, I think. What' s new?

Apparently I have thin corneas, yeah the girl that just poked me in the eye 5 times came to that conclusion. I'm not a candidate for the regular Lasik. BUT, I am a candidate for the PRK (or some sort of letter combination) Lasik. I'm pretty much blind. If you know anything about prescriptions, I'm a negative 8.5 in one eye and a 9 in the other. Nice, huh? So the difference between this Lasik and the other is that with the regular, you pretty much wake up the next morning and can see. With the PRK, the recovery's not so smooth. You have to wear bandage contacts (which apparently burn like the dickens) for 4 days and then once they are removed, in about 2 weeks, I should be seeing 20-20. So basically for those 2 weeks, I'll need a maid, cook, chauffer, etc, etc, etc. I'll be spending a lot of time in a dark room. FABULOUS.

Not to mention that I wear my contacts so dang much that I've apparently stressed my eyes out to their breaking point and have to wear glasses for at least 3 weeks before I can do my pre op appointment. Oh, you mean the glasses that are about 7 years old and I can't see squat out of? Yeah, that would be them. So Eric and I decide (or maybe it was me) that I cannot live with these glasses for that long, so we go buy new ones. Yes. New glasses to wear for about 4 weeks total. This just keeps getting better and better right. Wait, there's more.

So after dropping money on a new pair of glasses, I have to fill a prescription for eye drops. 16 day supply? $110. I'll be refilling a few times too.

So all this to see 20-20. Worth it? Not now, but I'm sure about the end of February I'll be ranting up a storm about the joys of 20-20.

There'll be a happy positive post at some point this new year, I promise! LoL. Happy Weekending!

6 comments:

darcy said...

I am so jealous!! I would LOVE to get Lasik!! I am pretty much blind too. =/ YEAH for 20/20!!!

Jill H said...

oh gosh, sounds like you're gonna have to jump through a lot of hoops to get that good vision! it'll be worth it though =)

Ali said...

You can do it Amber, It will be worth it a million times.
If you want "to see" the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

michelle.g said...

amber, I got PRK done in 2006nd even though the first 4 days were really bad, it was like heaven's gate opening after that. i don't regret it at all and i have 20/15 vision now.

if you want you can read my experience on my blog. here's the link:

http://allanmichelle.typepad.com/starflower/2006/05/prknow_that_its.html

michelle.g said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi Joe said...

So sorry you have to go thru all that, love!

Look on the bright side though... it could be worse, they could be making you wear one of those cone things around your neck for a week like a puppy after surgery.

You will be seeing ants on trees very very soon... I just know it!

On to Jr. High!