Monday, January 07, 2008

The Trouble With Noses...

Is that if you fall face first on cement, it swells up to double it's size and gives you two black eyes. Oh yeah, and freaks your mommy out.

If you stick a hot pink bead up in it, it gets stuck. And your mommy freaks out.

So on Thursday evening, I'm sitting down scrapping while the kids sit across from me stringing beads on a string to make a necklace. The next thing I know, Cameron is telling me that Payton put a bead up her nose. And when I look up, she's looking kinda scared. So I proceed (calmly at this point) over to her where I start asking her if there was a bead up her nose and she tells me yes. So I look in and sure enough, hot pink bead. So I tell her not to touch it and run to get the aspirator. By the time I get back though, it's been either pushed or sucked up further into her nose. I can't really see it that well at this point. So I call Eric and start to get a little panicked. She's crying and I'm not sure what to do.

I try to get her to blow (as per the doctor on call). Well she's 3 and not a great nose blower. In fact she blows out of her mouth, not nose.

So Eric comes in and we go to the ER. The doctor comes in, looks in her nose and tells me "there is nothing in her nose that I can say is definitely a bead". Ok, I think, so what are we gonna do about the bead in my daughter's nose? He and the nurse are looking with the mirror deal and the nurse says that it looks like an inflammed mucus membrane. "Has she been sick lately?" Yes, did I mention that my daughter has a bead in her nose? So she shows me what they are seeing the "inflammed mucus membrane." That's the exact color of the bead I say. I think that's the bead. So the doc in all his knowledge looks to be getting a little annoyed and repeats "there is nothing that I can conclude is a bead in her nose. I pressed on what you saw and it's soft." At this point I'm almost in tears because a doctor is telling me that there is nothing there and I know better.

The nurse sees that I'm not too happy and says she's gonna call for a 3rd set of eyes (i.e. a second opinion) in which the doctor walked out. Probably p.o.'ed but who really cares, right? So a male nurse comes in and looks in her nose "wow it's way up there" he says immediately. Then proceeds to stick a little rubber tipped syringe in and flicks out the bead. I wanted to take it and go show the doctor. And say told you so, told you so. But I refrained.

So that my friends, is the trouble with noses.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is loco! but seriously those mucus membranes are hot pink! I know when I was in high school i used to shoot little pieces of paper out of my nose...and one got stuck...I sneezed about 5 minutes straight and there was snot and clear all over my desk...it was great!
Glad they got it out! The rest of the week can only be better.

Jill H said...

oh my gosh, LOL at Ali's comment. gosh! thank the Lord i've never had to deal with mucus membranes =P yuck. i can't imagine how upset you guys were at the doctor! good thing Payton's fine and everything turned out ok though :)

Anonymous said...

ah..nurses...we always know better than dr's LOL

Poor payton, hope she is feeling better now and you are too!!!

sarah x

Jamie Ko said...

geez, did the doctor even look up there?

my cousin stuck an M&M up his nose once. that's one more thing you need to watch out for...

Alex Hardy said...

mmmm. yea.
among other things, NEVER stick bubble gum up your nose either. been there. done that.
not so pretty coming out.

YIKES about little Payton. doctors can be so pompous. hopefully, she's not too scarred from the experience.

chris has a little container of things that we have pulled from Mikey's nose, mainly pebbles and popcorn kernels. kinda gross, but we figure it'll be funny when he's grown up!

Heidi Joe said...

Alex is cracking me up with the nose item container!

Ah man... what a funny story! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time... poor little Pay Payt!

I think when I was a baby I stuck a pierced earring in my nose. I think I remember a time or two in childhood sticking a crayon up there and having it break off flush to the nostril, so mom needed the TWEEZERS to get it out.

Ahh... memories. Light the corners of my mind.

michelle raMirez said...

hello?!?
paging doctor know it all.
Mom's are always right?
doesn't he know that?
you retold this story to the t.
HIlarious!

On to Jr. High!