Monday, March 10, 2008

Post Surgery Post

I can see! Well sort of. One week out of surgery and I'm seeing pretty well. Well enough to type this blog at least, but I won't be driving a vehicle today, that's for sure. It's a rough time. But I knew that beforehand. I soooo appreciate all the prayers of my family and friends. More than you guys know. It's definitely been the difference in this recovery.

Eric's prayer: "Guide the doctors hands, Lord God."
Payton's prayer: "Just let the doctor not have any hands, God."
LoL. Sorry Pay, let's go with Daddy's.

It was the scariest thing I've ever been through. The 2 C-sections and the wisdom teeth removal had nothing on this bad boy. My butt was so clenched the whole time, it literally never touched the seat. LoL. And I'm pretty sure that the little squishy things they give you to hold will never return to their prior shape. They cleanse and scrape and touch your eyes like it's their job. Well technically it is there job, but seriously? They do things that eyeballs shouldn't ever have to endure.

I never had the pain that I was warned about, and read about on the internet, though. Which has been utterly fabulous. We weren't able to get my pain pills the day of the surgery because it would've taken too long to wait for them, and I was ready to sleep. Later that evening, the weather was horrific, so I didn't want E going out in it for the medicine. Well at about 1 in the morning, I woke up with a serious burning sensation in one eye. He ran to Walgreen's at 1 am. I took the pill and was out of pain and back to sleep in minutes. Well there was one other time I experienced pain. On Friday night, I woke up to put some drops and was so tired I accidentally poked myself in the eye with the dropper. I cried for about an hour with the pain, and Eric fussed at me for not waking him up to put the drops. I was trying to be nice wifey and let him sleep for once. Boy did that every backfire. LoL. But that pain was self inflicted. So I'm not counting it.

E was beyond wonderful last week. He kept the ship running smooth, and still worked some and was there for whatever I needed. Woke up with me to put my drops and made the week much easier for everyone. As well as my mom and mother in law, and friend Shaina. I'm blessed, I really am.

I'm actually having moments of very clear vision, now. They are fleeting, but exciting nonetheless. I actually laid in bed last night and marveled at how clear the clock was. Before, if I would have looked at it without my glasses, it would have been a huge red blob. So we are making progress. If there's one thing I've learned by reading about other people's experiences, it's that patience is the key. Which is fab, because I'm like the most patient person in the world. Hahaha. But I'm just gonna go along for the ride and see where it gets me. I'm secretly praying for 20/15 when it's all said and done. I was approximately 20/600 before, so that's a tall order.

Thanks for reading this loooong post. More to come soon now that I can read the screen. But not for too long, because it tires the eyes quickly. Also, I'm not quite sure what happend to the old blog. It's looking rather plain. I'll try to get it spiffed up soon. Happy Monday!

5 comments:

Alex Hardy said...

okay.
the whole prayer convo. definitely needs to be scrapped. kids praying is the *sweetest* thing to hear.
mikey still prays for "daddy at the fire academy"
it's almost been a year since he graduated! LoL.

YAY that everything went okay.
And that you have such a marvelous family to help out.

XOXOXO

Jamie Ko said...

welcome back Amber!! I'm sure at some point you'll be able to read these comments standing 50 feet away from the computer. :)

you've been blessed with a wonderful family...love Payton's little prayer, but a doctor with no hands would not be a good thing at all.

Anonymous said...

hi amber, so glad you made it through. have been thinking of you

sarah x

Jill H said...

glad you made it through, Amber!! i hope your eyes have healed enough for you to watch Lost tonight, lol :) we're just getting ready to watch it and i was thinking 'i wonder how Amber's doing'! take care & take it easy =)

michelle.g said...

awww...so cute about Payton's little prayer!

and you're getting there! i can't believe you poked yourself in the eye though! that really must have been painful...ack! take care. you'll be at 20/15 sooner than you know :)

On to Jr. High!